Monday, December 3, 2012

Gamecca Rant November 2012

So Gamecca Magazine were brave enough to let me put stuff in their mag. Brave or stupid. Either way, I will republish those rants here a month later (because the editor won't let me doit sooner). Here's the one for November 2012...


Ok, actually, that's the cover. Another part of the deal. If you wanna read the rant, click on the 'read more' link. I am sure you already knew that. You must be smart, because you're reading my stuff.


And here it is. For real:


I have a news-flash for you: you’re not special. No matter what Mommy and Daddy said, or your teachers or Grand-Ma or that creepy guy in the car around the corner who always seemed to have a ready supply of candy and seemed very eager to give you lifts, you are not special. It’s a bubble-burster, I know, but Fight Club had it right. You’re the same decaying organic matter as everyone else. And this, mind you, is a fact- totally in spite of race, creed, class or bank balance. You are just like everyone else, a human being who deserves no more, and no less, than what is due to any other human being. Deal with it, pumpkin, because if you get that through your entitlement-addled, self-important skull, the world will be a better place.

I am talking about entitlement of all kinds. For example, I am sitting on a plane, flying to Cape Town right now. There’s this guy – tall dude, with a remarkably squeaky voice – who has been bitching for, like, the whole flight thus far, about the fact that the cabin crew said his carry-on luggage was actually too big, and needed to be stowed in the aircraft’s belly, not in the cabin. His argument is that he travels more than forty times a year. Really… OK, so he’s that special then, is he, that he deserves exceptional treatment? No, he’s not. He’s just another human being who’s sense of self-importance has overtaken his ideas of fair play and decency.

But it’s not just Luggage Guy that has this attitude. There are million – if not billions – of people who suffer with over-inflated egos. It’s the guy who cuts into the turn only lane at the last minute. It’s the retard who lets his kids run rampant in a restaurant. It’s the moron who believes that he should get a better treatment than everyone else, simply because he draws breath (just, might I add, like everyone else.) And, yes, it’s the guy who down-loads video games from the internet because he can. Nice, dude, ruin it for those of us who are honest to actually pay for stuff. Because all the self-congratulatory, neo-anarchistic, action-justifying platitudes you are about to spout about freedom of information, or rip-off game publishers, or whatever else, are simply excuses for the fact that you are either too lazy, too stupid or too selfish to exist within a complex society. A society that is based on rules and standards and ideas that help it tick along. A society that needs people to behave like responsible adults, not like entitled, thieving children. A society that, quite simple, doesn’t need people to behave like you do.

Ah, man, who am I kidding? I can rant about it all I like. I have for years. But those of you who don’t have that attitude don’t need to hear it, and those that do will simply ignore this because, in your little deluded bubble, you believe that this applies to other people, not you. Never you. You are special, remember. Oh, wait, you’re not. I forgot. Neither am I. We all deserve the same treatment, because that is fair, and balanced, and…

OK, enough. I can’t go on, because Luggage Guy won’t shut the hell up. I am going to close my laptop now, and go tell him just how special I think he is. It may involve violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment